Clearlight would like to remind users that this should not be taken as direct medical advice, and you should always consult a licensed health practitioner before making any significant changes to your lifestyle or existing pain treatment regimen.
Many of us enjoy the convenience of staying connected, even in an infrared sauna. But bringing phones into the hot environment can be risky.
Boiling temperatures and potential water mishaps can cause permanent damage to your phone and its precious contents. Not to mention, EMF/ELF radiation that’s emitted from your device when you use it in the sauna.
Thankfully, some simple precautions can make taking your phone in the sauna problem-free.
We’ve got all the tips you need to take your phone into your sauna with minimal risks in today's blog post!
Before we go ahead, we've also discussed how other electronic devices perform inside an sauna environment, that you might find interesting:
Now let's delve into these helpful tips for enjoying your sauna without any phone damage!
Should I take my phone into the sauna?
The short answer is, that it's up to you...
Phones, be it Android phones or an iPhone, all work best in a certain temperature range. An iPhone may shut down, break, overheat or have its electronics damaged if exposed to high heat.
This may have a negative impact on your warranty and it's probably a good idea to check with your manufacturer first about your warranty.
Similar to overheating in the sun, permanent damage may happen to your mobile phone and cause damage similar to the effects of humidity or moisture.
The truth is that while infrared saunas provide many health benefits without the humidity levels of traditional saunas, putting an iPhone in an infrared sauna may not be the best idea.
However, if you do choose to take your phone in a sauna, we've outlined 5 ways cell phones can enhance your experience.
5 ways an iPhone can improve your infrared sauna experience
There are a number of reasons you may want to take a phone into a dry sauna.
1. First and foremost, having your cell phone with you can help keep you connected to the outside world. This can be especially helpful if you're using the sauna for recreational purposes and want to be able to easily contact someone if needed. Whether that's connecting with a friend in another state or a family member in another country, sauna bathing with a friend (either in-person or virtually) can greatly enhance your experience.
2. Another benefit, if you wish to take your phone into an infrared sauna, is that it can help keep you entertained. If you're someone who gets bored easily, having your phone with you can help keep you occupied. You can use it to listen to music, video streaming, or even just scroll through your social media feeds. Like the first benefit, keeping yourself occupied can prolong your heat tolerance and help you stay in the sauna for longer. Our Clearlight Infrared Saunas have both Bluetooth and AUX connections so that you can use our high-quality in-built speaker system for your relaxation music. We also have a dedicated podcast called The Sauna Show that has extremely interesting conversations with health professionals about sauna and other wellness technologies. Or more simply, you can browse our range of blogs, such as this one, to learn more about sauna-related topics. Whichever entertainment you prefer, we have you covered.
3. There's also the ability to get some work done if you don't have time to do it at home. Life can get in the way, but if you take advantage of the quiet atmosphere, you may find that the lack of distractions will help to get things done. If you're interested in this topic, we have an article on the effects infrared has on your brain if you would like to read more. Beware that after about the 20-minute mark, you'll find it hard to concentrate on anything too tricky.
4. Your phone can also act as a timer, letting you know when your sauna session is over, or if you incorporate exercise or stretching into your routine. This can be really helpful if you're trying to stick to a specific time limit or different intervals during your session. If stretching in a sauna is something you want to learn about, we have written an article about this previously.
5. It can also be a useful tool for tracking your progress and measuring the results of your sauna sessions. If you use a wearable device, such as an Aurora Ring or Fitbit, you can track your progress in real-time. By tracking your heart rate and body temperature, you can get a better sense of how well each session is working for you, and whether your goal is weight loss or muscle recovery you will be able to tailor your session to suit.
What to do if my iPhone exceeds its temperature range?
If your iPhone starts to get to overheat it's important to remove it immediately.
Continuing to use your phone in the heat, be it android phones or an iPhone, may cause damage to the internal components and force it to shut down.
Therefore it's best to stay on the side of caution if you spend time in saunas
If you're worried about your phone getting too hot, you can always take a break from using it during your saunas
This will give it a chance to cool down and won't cause any harm to your device.
Finally, if you're really concerned about overheating your phone, you can always choose to leave it at home altogether.
This is a safer option, but it also means that you'll miss out on all of the benefits that come with using your phone in the sauna.